I’m playing catch up on my blog today, sharing not just went down in May but ALSO June. The laid back part of me said “just skip this post, it’s all good, no one is dying with it not being on the Internet”, but the type-A part of me (the majority of my personality on most days), said more loudly, “you already have two pictures of sliced almonds spelling out ‘May’ and ‘June’ on jammed toast, they will serve no other purpose except for this monthly piece, just write the damn post”. And so I said, “FINE“.
I really do enjoy these posts though. It gives me time to reflect back on the last month (or two months in this case). I flip through both my Get to Work Book and my One Line A Day journal to remind myself of all the good and weird that happened. And I like including all this online, as it keeps me accountable to the things that are still in progress and the things I need to let go of. So here we are!
These last two months were all about:
- Wedding of two good friends! I am the girl who cries watching Pixar movies (Finding Dory pierced my heart! Ugh, baby Dory is toooooooo fucking cute) and Apple commercials if the music is touching, so it should have come as no surprise that I got a little teary at the wedding of two great friends. I thought I was sneaky, but the groom let me know he could see me crying from the altar. Oh well, happy wedding Brett and Katie!
- My last day of work and moving!!! I said a bittersweet goodbye to co-workers at the hospital and made a big leap- I moved to Tucson, where my long-time boyfriend/best pal AJ lives. We have been making a long distance relationship work for the last three years (though holy crap it was NOT without challenges, real talk), but we both knew it was time to be in the same place again, especially since he will for sure be in Tucson at least another year for medical school. And living here is AWESOME. And surreal. But so so good. Already more happy than any other emotion to be exactly where I am. More details to come on a new job when I am able to share!
- Daily exercise. Thanks to indoor cycling at Cycle Bar (if you’re local, take Holly and Katie’s Performance classes!) and Cycle Ave (Dalia is my favorite teacher!), weight lifting and Zumba.
- Learning how to actually wear make up. I’ve always been a minimalist when it came to make up growing up, mostly because I didn’t think I had a talent for applying it. But I like make up and think it is a fun way to express yourself and for many people can be empowering. I often find myself these days searching the Interwebs for products and tips (currently loving the About Face series on Laura Miller’s site, and can’t stop watching this girl apply lipstick) and have really started getting into it. In fact, Erinn and I did an episode all about beauty recently on The Table Chat Show!
Still in progress:
- Awaiting results from my two-day sleep study. I have suffered from non-restorative sleep and day-time fatigue for too long. I FINALLY had my sleep study and am feeling so thankful to be closer to my 2016 goal to improve my sleep.
To let go of:
- Doing it all. I feel strongly that we cannot “do it all”, and I wrote about this last month. I want to continue this next month to let go of the unnecessary that’s interfering with the things I really want and need to be doing. This could mean turning down a lunch date that I really want to schedule but I don’t have the time for right now, or putting a mediocre creative idea on the shelf to focus on one I really believe in.
I’d love to hear how the first part of your summer has been going, and you can find a slice of each month here.